Monday 2 November 2009

Energy Monitor Trial

Borrowed one of the 12 ENVI Real Time Energy Monitors (www.currentcost.com) from Edinburgh City Libraries. To find their stock of monitors on the online catalogue put 'Energy Monitor' into the Keyword field on the search page. Fascinated to see my electricity use spelt out on a screen in front of me. I duly logged for a week (maximum loan period) the major ups and downs. Most of us probably know that kettles and irons and tumble driers consume humungous amounts of electricity, but I didn’t find it made much difference knowing what this was costing me in pounds per day as few people run a kettle or a kettle or an iron for this long. So it was the daily totals that were of most interest and particularly the point when you think nothing is on in the house but the screen still says you are using 245W. I was alone in the house that week and my average per day was 11.5 kWh. I handed the ENVI back in to the Library a little reluctantly but not bursting to have my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment